Establishing a home practice can be difficult if you haven't got the space or time. The reality is we can make endless excuses as to why we can't start a home practice. We are creatures of habit and in order to make yoga a regular part of our life we need to create some kind of routine.
So, as we have the time now with the current world situation some kind of routine
is exactly what we need ...lets get started!
STEPS IN CREATING A HOME PRACTICE:
1. Don't make your goals unachievable, if you only have 10 minutes then let that be the start to your practice
2. If you have the space prepare a sacred place where you can practice. You may add some candles, incense, some flowers, an essential oil burner etc and of course your yoga mat (or beach towel if you don't have one).
Include things in your sacred space that make you feel positive.
3. Start with some sun or moon salutations as a short sequence and build from there.
4. Follow a book or find an online session. The first yoga book that I worked from 20 years ago was 'Dynamic Yoga by Gregory Devereux', which I loved! I still value this book and look through it every so often, so much so that the pages have fallen out. It was this book that really got me into yoga. What I really liked about it was the fact that it emphasised the importance of correct alignment and muscle awareness.
5. At the end of your practice relax on your back with your feet mat width apart, listen to the bird song outside or some relaxing music, focus on your breath and try and empty your mind.
6. If you don't achieve this on the day that you intended don't worry, just try another day!
I will be posting a short video with this sequence online soon so watch this space.